This year Hairouna Film Festival is proud to announce the launch of “Hairouna Film Lab” in collaboration with our partner Soho House.
Hairouna Film Lab is a talent incubator designed to support Vincentians looking to take the next step as screenwriters and filmmakers.
10 scripts will be shortlisted as “Semifinalists”. They will be offered the opportunity to shoot a 2-minute ‘proof of concept’ of their project (this can be done on whatever equipment is readily available including a mobile phone)
The top 2 most promising ‘proof of concepts’ will be selected as “Finalists” and invited to join a 3-Day Residency at Soho Beach House Canouan, where they will be joined by mentors:
- Aml Ameen – British writer/director/actor who has Vincentian heritage
- Michelle Serieux – St Lucian writer/director/producer and co-founder of New Caribbean Cinema
At the residency, Finalists will be given an additional 3 days to polish their scripts before final submission.
The best overall script at this point that has shown the most development from the first submission will be chosen and the winner will be given $10,000 USD to make their film. The film is required to be shot in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. A local crew will be assembled and production timelines rolled out.
Scripts are to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 28th August, 6 pm AST.
Please read our FAQ’s and Terms and Conditions before applying.
Hairouna Film Lab is an offshoot of the Soho Script House competition open only to Vincentian nationals or those living in St Vincent and the Grenadines.
Do I need to upload my script or send it via e-mail by the deadline?
Yes, scripts should be e-mailed in PDF or Word document form by the stated deadlines to email@example.com
Note: scripts can be written in Microsoft Word and then saved as a pdf.
In special circumstances, we will accept hard copy, handwritten scripts. Please inform us before-hand if you intend to submit this way by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and we will let you know the address details to send to.
What kind of scripts do you accept?
We are accepting a short film of any genre.
What format should the scripts be submitted in?
Scripts to be submitted in the format of the following template: https://tinyurl.com/HFFScriptTemplate
What are the scripts’ eligibility requirements?
Short scripts must be no more than 12 pages in length (10-12 pages). We do not accept spec scripts or spinoffs of existing shows. We do not accept scripts for “reality TV” shows.
Scripts must be standard template provided only;
Scripts must be original content
Scripts may not have been produced;
Scripts must be in English or local dialect;
Scripts must be completed by the entry deadline;
Scripts must include a title page with the applicant’s name.
Can I send a draft now and a replacement copy later?
No, we do not accept replacement copies of a script. The only way we can accept a new revised version of your script is if you re-submit it using a new entry form and paying the corresponding entry fee.
Can I submit more than one script?
Do you accept adaptations?
Do you accept scripts written in collaboration?
I don’t live in St. Vincent & the Grenadines. Can I submit a script?
The intention for this script writing competition is for it to be open to Vincentian nationals and those residing in St Vincent and the Grenadines. If you are a Vincentian national residing outside of St Vincent and the Grenadines and make it through to the Finals, the prize money cannot be used to fund travel/accommodation expenses required to get to the residency from abroad or to shoot the film in St Vincent and the Grenadines if you are the winner. It is a requirement of Hairouna Film Lab that the film is shot in St Vincent and the Grenadines.
Is there a theme for Scripts?
There is no explicit theme however it is a requirement that the Film must be shot in St Vincent and the Grenadines.
Applicants must not submit any scripts containing material that could be considered harmful, obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit, indecent, lewd, violent, abusive, profane, insulting, threatening, harassing, hateful or otherwise objectionable, includes the image or likeness of individuals under 18 years of age, or contains any personal contact information or other personal information identifying any third party.
I didn’t receive an e-mail confirmation for my submission.
If you submitted your script by email and have not received a confirmation, please send us a note inquiring about it at email@example.com.
When will the results be announced?
Notifications will be sent by e-mail only. Winners will be announced through Hairouna Film Festival’s social media channels with a press release issued.
How many people win?
We will announce ten (10) semifinalists. From the semifinalists, we will announce two finalists to take part in a residency at Soho Beach House Canouan (dates to be confirmed but likely to be in October/November 2021). The judges will award one winner from the two finalists.
What happens to the rights of my script if I win?
You will retain the rights to the script whatever the outcome of the competition.
For additional questions regarding submission and other general inquiries, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms & Conditions:
● You must be a Vincentian National or residing in St Vincent and the Grenadines
● One Script entry only per person
● The Script must be created and submitted by an individual. Scripts from writing groups will not be considered and will be disqualified
● You must be at least 18 years of age to submit a Script
Script Guidelines and Acknowledgements:
● All Scripts must be submitted in English or local dialect
● All Scripts must be the original work of the author without restriction from any third party
● All Scripts must be in a PDF or Word format with a title page that clearly states your title, name, address, contact number and you agree to be contacted by email
● Scripts will not be eligible if they have been sold, produced for profit or optioned
● You can only submit scripts – loglines, taglines, synopses, casting suggestions, resumes, cover letters, photographs or any other materials of any kind are not eligible for consideration in the Contest
● Once a Script has been submitted, it is considered to be in final form and no revised or future drafts will be eligible for consideration
● If selected as the winner, you must direct the film yourself. You may not include a co-director or any similar function
● The run time for the finished Short Film may not exceed 10 minutes
● In order to be eligible for consideration in the Contest, you must submit Scripts between the Kick-Off and the Contest Close Date (each as defined below)
Short Film and Initial Winner Guidelines:
● Hairouna Film Festival will select two (10) Semi-Finalists who will be offered the opportunity to shoot a “proof of concept” which must not exceed 2 minutes in length
● Hairouna Film Festival will select two (2) Finalists each of whom will be invited to attend a residency at Soho Beach House Canouan, where they will be joined by award winning writers/directors who will mentor them
● Hairouna Film Festival will then select (1) Winner who will receive US $10,000 or the equivalent monetary amount in your resident currency to produce the Short Film (the “Production Funds”)
● You represent that you have received consent from any individuals featured or visible in the Short Film to use such individual’s image and likeness in the manner(s) set forth herein
● Finalists are responsible for their own tax liability and agree to indemnify Hairouna Film Festival for any tax liabilities or penalties incurred, as a result of entering the Contest or being selected as a Semi- Finalist, Finalist or Winner.
● Before the Winner receives the funds, Hairouna Film Festival has the right to review and comment upon a budget submitted by the overall winner
● Hairouna Film Festival will be named as Executive Producer for the Short Film
● Hairouna Film Festival also reserves the right to appoint and approve a Producer to assist with the making of the Short Film (the cost for this producer will be budgeted as part of the prize money).
● Finalists will then receive the Production Funds to their nominated bank account and shall provide Hairouna Film Festival with any necessary payment information as requested.
Process and Key Dates*:
*All dates may be subject to change depending on availability of mentors and local COVID-19 restrictions. All dates will be confirmed by Hairouna Film Festival nearer the time.
- March 19, 2021 – Contest submission kick-off date (the “Kick-Off”)
- August 28, 2021 – Contest submission close date (the “Contest Close Date”)
- September 11, 2021 – Hairouna Film Festival will select and notify ten (10) Scripts for final consideration (the “Semi-Finalists”)
- September 25, 2021 – Semi-Finalists to submit “Proof of Concept”
- Mid October, 2021 –  Finalists selected and notified
- End October/November, 2021 – Soho Beach House Canouan 3-day Residency
- End December, 2021 –  Overall winner selected and notified
- December 2021/January-February, 2022 – Short Film is in production
- March 2022 (exact date TBD) – Short Film is premiered at HFF 2022 (format TBD)
Travel and Accommodation:
● All travel and accommodation choices will be booked by and at the discretion of Hairuona Film Festival
● The Finalists will be entitled to:
○ Travel costs from Mainland St Vincent to Canouan for the residency
○ Up to 3 days / 2 nights of accommodation at Soho Beach House Canouan
○ Transportation to and from the airport
○ Meals will be covered during the residency
● Hairouna Film Festival reserves the right to select the Semi-Finalists at Hairouna Film Festival’s sole and complete discretion. Hairouna Film Festival’s decision is final and unchallengeable. Hairouna Film Festival can at its sole discretion declare the competition void without providing a reason.
● Hairouna Film Festival reserves the right to change or modify the Terms at any time and without prior notice or to terminate the Contest without penalty
● You agree to apply with all applicable laws and regulations with respect the Script and Short Film
● You hereby grant to us and our affiliates a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, license in the intellectual property rights in the Script and or Short Film to (a) reproduce the content for the purposes of carrying out our business and the business of our lead sponsor Soho House; (b) include images of the content or reproduce the content for promotional, marketing, and social media purposes across all ours and our affiliates’ channels whether print, digital or online
● You represent and warrant that neither the Script nor the Short Film will infringe upon any intellectual property right of Hairouna Film Festival or any third party and that you have received consent to include any third- party intellectual property which may be feature, visible, or identifiable in your Short Film
● You represent and warrant that neither the Script nor the Short Form shall contain (a) any content or information that is unlawful, fraudulent, libelous, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable, or infringes our or any third party’s intellectual property or other rights; (b) any non-public information about companies without authorization; or (c) any advertisements, solicitations, chain letters, pyramid schemes, surveys, contests, investment opportunities or other unsolicited commercial communication, or provide links to, (d) any postings containing material that could be considered harmful, obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit, indecent, lewd, violent, abusive, profane, insulting, threatening, harassing, hateful or otherwise objectionable, includes the image or likeness of individuals under 18 years of age, or contains any personal contact information or other personal information identifying any third party.
● You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Hairouna Film Festival, lead sponsor Soho House and all affiliates, assigns, employees, directors, agents, representatives, and successors from any and all claims (i) alleging infringement of any third- party rights with respect to the Script or Short Film, (ii) any breach by you of applicable law related to the Script or Short Film; and (iii) arising as a result of, or in connection with your failure to comply with these Terms
● To the extent permitted by applicable law, Hairouna Film Festival’s entire liability with respect to the Contest under contract or tort is limited to $10,000. Hairouna Film Festival SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR
INDIRECT DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THE CONTEST, REGARDLESS OF ANY NOTICE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. NOTWITHSTANDING THE FOREGOING, NOTHING IN THIS PARAGRAPH IS INTENDED TO LIMIT OR RESTRICT THE INDEMNIFICATION RIGHTS OR OBLIGATIONS.
By submitting your work, you agree to all the terms and conditions stated above.
Script Format Example