This year Hairouna Film Festival are proud to announce the launch of “Hairouna Film Lab” in collaboration
with our partner Soho House.
Hairouna Film Lab is a talent incubator designed to support Vincentians looking to take the next step as
screenwriters and film-makers.
10 scripts will be shortlisted as “Finalists” chosen by a panel of industry experts. They will be offered the
opportunity to shoot a 2-minute ‘proof of concept’ of their project (this can be done on whatever
equipment is readily available including a mobile phone)
The top 2 most promising ‘proof of concepts’ will be selected as “Semi-Finalists” chosen by a panel of
industry experts and invited to join a 3-Day Residency at Soho Beach House Canouan, where they will
be joined by mentors:
- Aml Ameen – British writer/director/actor who has Vincentian heritage
- Michelle Serieux – St Lucian writer/director/producer and co-founder of New Caribbean Cinema
At the residency, Semi-Finalists will be given an additional 3 days to polish their scripts before final
The best overall script at this point that has shown the most development from the first submission will be
chosen and the winner will be given $10,000 USD to make their film. The film is required to be shot in St
Vincent and the Grenadines. A local crew will be assembled and production timelines rolled out.
Scripts are to be submitted to email@example.com no later than 30th April, 6 pm AST.
Please read our FAQ’s and Terms and Conditions before applying.
Hairouna Film Lab is an offshoot of the Soho Script House competition open only to Vincetion nationals or
those living in St Vincent & the Grenadines.
Yes, scripts should be e-mailed in PDF or Word document form by the stated deadlines to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: scripts can be written in word and then saved as a pdf.
In special circumstances, we will accept a hard copy, handwritten scripts. Please inform us before-hand if
you intend to submit this way by emailing email@example.com and we will let you know the address
details to send to.
We are accepting a short film of any genre.
Scripts to be submitted in the format of the following template: https://tinyurl.com/HFFScriptTemplate
Short scripts must be no more than 12 pages in length (10-12 pages). We do not accept spec scripts or
spinoffs of existing shows. We do not accept scripts for “reality TV” shows.
Scripts must be standard template provided only;
Scripts must be original content
Scripts may not have been produced;
Scripts must be in English or local dialect;
Scripts must be completed by the entry deadline;
Scripts must include a title page with the applicant’s name.
No, we do not accept replacement copies of a script. The only way we can accept a new revised version
of your script is if you re-submit it using a new entry form and paying the corresponding entry fee.
The intention for this script Writing competition is for it to be open to Vincentian nationals and those
residing in St Vincent and the Grenadines. If you are a Vincentian national residing outside of St Vincent
& the Grenadines and make it through to the Semi-final, the prize money cannot be used to fund travel /
accommodation expenses required to get to the residency from abroad or to shoot the film in St Vincent
and the Grenadines if you are the winner. It is a requirement of Hairouna Film Lab that the film is shot in
St Vincent & the Grenadines.
There is no explicit theme however it is a requirement that the Film must be shot in St Vincent and the
Applicants must not submit any scripts containing material that could be considered harmful, obscene,
pornographic, sexually explicit, indecent, lewd, violent, abusive, profane, insulting, threatening, harassing, hateful or otherwise objectionable, includes the image or likeness of individuals under 18 years of age, or
contains any personal contact information or other personal information identifying any third party.
If you submitted your script by email and have not received a confirmation, please send us a note
inquiring about it at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Notifications will be sent by e-mail only. Winners will be announced through Hairouna Film Festival’s
social media channels with a press release issued.
We will announce ten finalists. From the finalists, we will announce two semi-finalists to take part in a
residency at Soho Beach House Canouan (dates to be confirmed but likely to be in June/July 2021). The
judges will award one winner from the two semi-finalists.
You will retain the rights to the script whatever the outcome of the competition.
For additional questions regarding submission and other general inquiries, please e-mail
Terms & Conditions:
● You must be a Vincentian National or residing in St Vincent & the Grenadines
● One Script entry only per person
● The Script must be created and submitted by an individual. Scripts from writing groups will not be
considered and will be disqualified
● You must be at least 18 years of age to submit a Script
Script Guidelines and Acknowledgements:
● All Scripts must be submitted in English or local dialect
● All Scripts must be the original work of the author without restriction from any third party
● All Scripts must be in a pdf or word format with a title page that clearly states your title, name,
address, contact number and you agree to be contacted by email
● Scripts will not be eligible if they have been sold, produced for profit or optioned
● You can only submit scripts – loglines, taglines, synopses, casting suggestions, resumes,
cover letters, photographs or any other materials of any kind are not eligible for consideration in
● Once a Script has been submitted, it is considered to be in final form and no revised or future
drafts will be eligible for consideration
● If selected as the winner, you must direct the film yourself. You may not include a co-director or
any similar function
● The run time for the finished Short Film may not exceed 10 minutes
● In order to be eligible for consideration in the Contest, you must submit Scripts between the
Kick-Off and the Contest Close Date (each as defined below)
Short Film and Initial Winner Guidelines:
● Hairouna Film Festival will select two (10) Finalists who will be offered the opportunity to shoot a
“proof-of’concept” which must not exceed 2-minutes in length
● Hairouna Film Festival will select two (2) Semi-Finalists each of whom will be invited to attend a
residency at Soho Beach House Canouan, where they will be joined by award winning
writers/directors who will mentor them
● Hairouna FIlm Festival will then select (1) Finalist who will receive US $10,000 or the equivalent
monetary amount in your resident currency to produce the Short Film (the “Production Funds”)
● You represent that you have received consent from any individuals featured or visible in the Short
Film to use such individual’s image and likeness in the manner(s) set forth herein
● Finalists are responsible for their own tax liability and agree to indemnify Hairouna FIlm Festival
for any tax liabilities or penalties incurred, as a result of entering the Contest or being selected as
an Semi- Finalist.
● Before the Winner receives the funds, Hairouna Film Festival have the right to review and
comment upon a budget submitted by the overall winner
● Hairouna Film Festival will be named as Executive Producer for the Short Film
● Hairouna FIlm Festival also reserves the right to appoint and approve a Producer to assist with
the making of the Short Film (the cost for this producer will be budgeted as part of the prize
● Finalists will then receive the Production Funds to their nominated bank account and shall provide
Hairouna FIlm Festival with any necessary payment information as requested.
Process and Key Dates*:
*All dates may be subject to change depending on availability of mentors and local covid restrictions. All dates will be confirmed by Hairouna Film Festival nearer the time.
- March 19, 2021 – Contest submission kick-off date (the “Kick-Off”)
- April 30, 2021 – Contest submission close date (the “Contest Close Date”)
- May 14, 2021 – Hairouna Film Festival will select and notify ten (10) Scripts for final consideration (the “Finalists”)
- May 28, 2021 – Finalists to submit “Proof of Concept”
- Mid June, 2021 –  Semi-Finalists selected and notified
- End June/July, 2021 – Soho Beach House Canouan 3-day Residency
- End July, 2021 –  Overall winner selected and notified
- July / August 2021 – Short Film production and editing
- November / December 2021 (exact date TBD) – Winner is announced and will host a virtual screening of their Short Film (format tbd)
Travel and Accommodation:
● All travel and accommodation choices will be booked by and at the discretion of Hairuona Film
● The Semi-Finalists will be entitled to:
○ Travel costs from Mainland St Vincent to Canouan for the residency
○ Up to 3 Days / 2 nights of accommodation at Soho Beach House Canouan
○ Transportation to and from the airport
○ Meals will be covered during the residency
● Hairouna Film Festivalreserves the right to select the Semi-Finalists at Hairouna Film Festival’’s
sole and complete discretion. Hairouna Film Festival’s decision is final and unchallengeable. Hairouna Film Festival can at its sole discretion declare the competition void without providing a
● Hairouna Film Festival reserves the right to change or modify the Terms at any time and without
prior notice or to terminate the Contest without penalty
● You agree to apply with all applicable laws and regulations with respect the Script and Short Film
● You hereby grant to us and our affiliates a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, license in the
intellectual property rights in the Script and or Short Film to (a) reproduce the content for the
purposes of carrying out our business and the business of our lead sponsor Soho House; (b)
include images of the content or reproduce the content for promotional, marketing, and social
media purposes across all ours and our affiliates’ channels whether print, digital or online
● You represent and warrant that neither the Script nor the Short Film will infringe upon any
intellectual property right of Hairouna Film Festival or any third party and that you have received
consent to include any third- party intellectual property which may be feature, visible, or
identifiable in your Short Film
● You represent and warrant that neither the Script nor the Short Form shall contain (a) any content or information that is unlawful, fraudulent, libelous, defamatory, or otherwise objectionable, or infringes our or any third party’s intellectual property or other rights; (b) any non-public information about companies without authorization; or (c) any advertisements, solicitations, chain letters, pyramid schemes, surveys, contests, investment opportunities or other unsolicited commercial communication, or provide links to, (d) any postings containing material that could be considered harmful, obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit, indecent, lewd, violent, abusive, profane, insulting, threatening, harassing, hateful or otherwise objectionable, includes the image or likeness of individuals under 18 years of age, or contains any personal contact information or other personal information identifying any third party.
● You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Hairouna Film Festival, lead sponsor Soho House and
all affiliates, assigns, employees, directors, agents, representatives, and successors from any
and all claims (i) alleging infringement of any third- party rights with respect to the Script or Short
Film, (ii) any breach by you of applicable law related to the Script or Short Film; and (iii) arising as
a result of, or in connection with your failure to comply with these Terms
● To the extent permitted by applicable law, Hairouna Film Festival’’s entire liability with respect to
the Contest under contract or tort is limited to $10,000. Hairouna Film Festival SHALL NOT BE
LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, PUNITIVE, OR
INDIRECT DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THE CONTEST, REGARDLESS OF
ANY NOTICE OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. NOTWITHSTANDING THE
FOREGOING, NOTHING IN THIS PARAGRAPH IS INTENDED TO LIMIT OR RESTRICT THE
INDEMNIFICATION RIGHTS OR OBLIGATIONS.
By submitting your work, you agree to all the terms and conditions stated above.